Useful Information About Thesalia
Total Area (Square KM): 14,037
Karditsa is located on the southwest part of Thessaly. In the borders of the prefecture is Plastira Lake, which is considered to be one of the most popular holiday resorts in Greece. The area has been inhabited since the prehistoric era (6000 B.C.). It was liberated from the Turks in 1881, while in the Second World War the city of Karditsa was recognized as the first free city in Europe. It borders on the north with Trikala, on the east with Larissa and Fthiotida, on the south with Fthiotida, Etoloakarnania and Euritania and on the west with Arta and Trikala.
Magnesia: The mythical mount (Pilio), the two seas with their beautiful beaches (Pagasitikos Gulf and Aegean Sea), the traditional, mountain villages with the houses of impressive architecture, the historic capital and numerous sights as well as its three lush green islands (Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos) compose the image of the prefecture of Magnisia. According to mythology, it was Centaurs’ homeland and the Olympian Gods’ summer resort. It was also the starting point of the Argonauts in their trip to Kolkhida. As the archeological findings in Sesklo, Dimini, Almiro and other locations show, the area has been inhabited since the Neolithic Era. The inhabitants of the prefecture participated in the Revolution of 1821, while the area joined to the Greek state in 1881. Magnisia borders with Larisa in the north and west, with Fthiotida in the south, with Aegean Sea in the east and with Pagasitiko Gulf in the south.
Larissa: Traditional villages of Olympus and Kissavos are perfect for winter mountain trips. Its clean beaches are perfect for swimming in summer. The biggest prefecture of Thessaly has something to offer to its visitors all year long. It was inhabited in the middle of the Paleolithic era. The prefecture became part of the Greek state in 1881, with the exception of the area of Elassona, which followed in 1912. It borders in the north with Pieria, west with Kozani, Grevena, Trikala and Karditsa, south with Fthiotida and Magnisia and east with the Aegean sea.
Meteora, with its impressive steep rocks and monasteries fascinate Greek and foreign visitors all year long. The traditional mountain villages such as Elati, Pertouli and Pili, complete the perfect image of the prefecture. The area was first inhabited during the Paleolithic and the Neolithic Era. Trikki and Eginion were the most important cities of the area in ancient times. Meteora was inhabited by the first monks in the 11th century and their number increased during the period of the Turkish occupation. Trikala was liberated from the Turks in 1898. It borders with Ioannina and Arta in the west, with Karditsa in the south, with Larissa in the east and with Grevena in the north. Website of the Prefecture of Trikala: www.trikala.gr